Tuesday 14 May 2013

I just want a story about me. Is that too much to ask for? Part 2

Saw this the other day and holy crap it's exactly what I was talking about in my post http://dancingpotatotes.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/i-just-want-story-about-me-is-that-too.html but this is said about, uhh I dont know 600x more better... just perfect...

Why am I compelled to write? Because the writing saves me from this complacency I fear. Because I have no choice. Because I must keep the spirit of my revolt and myself alive. Because the world I create in the writing compensates for what the real world does not give me. By writing I put order in the world, give it a handle so I can grasp it. I write to record what others erase when I speak, to rewrite the stories others have miswritten about me, about you. To become more intimate with myself and you. To discover myself, to preserve myself, to make myself, to achieve self-autonomy. To dispel the myths that I am a mad prophet or a poor suffering soul. To convince myself that I am worth and that what I have to say is not a pile of shit. To show that I can and that I will write, never mind the outraged gasp of the censor and the audience. Finally, I write because I'm scared of writing but I'm more scared of not writing.
That was by Gloria Anzaldua in Speaking in Tongues: A Letter To 3rd World Women Writers.
I also recently came across this talk by Chimamanda Adichie who also speaks on the same kind of thing. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg&noredirect=1 She also has a great speech on Feminism...

Love & Freshly Dried Laundry

DancingPotatotes

No comments:

Post a Comment